Saturday, June 13, 2015

Mt. Batur 1717m, Bali

It is probably the most famous and common mountain(volcano) to climb in Bali. The reason is it is not a hard trek, quite short and low altitude, has amazing view, and many tourist package for that. I don't want to say how many times I have been there, because I might go again in the next weekend :) Many of my friends said that we have to pay and they will force us to use a guide as it is dangerous, they will follow you, bla..bla..bla.. But it never happen to me even when I bring foreigner friends. If you want to know the start point, write me an email to winaajah@gmail.com or contact my phone number +6285737159359. Sorry I can't share directly here because I don't want the association to start checking that way. Let's keep it free!

The first time I went there was 6th October 2013, with my roommate, Callista. It was 9pm when I suddenly had an idea to climb Batur, and I asked her where is the start point. She was worried, so she offered to accompany me. We started at 12am from Jimbaran, where we lived together at that time. I don't really remember what time did we start to hike and what time did we arrived on the top, but it was quite early.


The second time I went there with a friend of mine in the day time, new year of 2015. But we only went to the middle where we can see the lake, and then ran down as the dark cloud came closer. The third time was March 29th 2015 , I suddenly(as usual) had an idea to go to Batur by my self as few days before that I bought a pair of hiking shoes. Some friends asked me "Don't you afraid?" My logic says that it will be many people on the mountain in the weekend, so if something bad happen, I can ask for help. So I started at 2am from Ubud, about 1 hour drive to the start point. It took me 1 hour 15 minutes, including 1 stop for drink and tight my shoes. But as it was too early, freezing cold on the top for an hour. And as the sun rising, i prepared my camera. Then i realized that i forgot to put memory card in it!

The next time I went alone again, but this time I had memory card in my camera, and I started later, at 3am. It took me 1 hour 5 minutes, faster! Well I'm pretty sure many people can do faster than it as i walked slow but no rest. I had time to eat breakfast and then enjoy the sun rise on time. Weather was very clear, no cloud covered the caldera. On the way down I saw people walked around the rim, so i definitely will come back for doing that one day.
Mt. Rinjani in Lombok
Golden light in the morning 

I guess my two last hike inspired my friends to go to. Some friends and friends of my friends join the next, also to the other mountain (Mt.Agung and Mt.Abang). Hiking in the group of course will take longer time, as we needed to wait for another friends, some of them have different body fit conditions. So i always make 2am as the default start from Ubud.

Here is some details of the trail with the start point that i normally take:
  1. Little bit of flat path in the pine forest
  2. Going up in the pine forest, there are some branch, choose which one looks easier for you, all lead into the same point.
    I guess this family want to build a shack on the top
  3. After that is an open air, where you can see the lake, the other mountains and the stars if the weather is good. The end of this path is already the half way.
  4. The path will go to the left, keep going until you see a shack, and walk around, continue the path behind that. This point is already the lower crater, it is possible to camp overnight. And also if you think you can't continue, stay here, the view is already good for sunrise.
  5. Anyway if you continue, the path is sandy (it is an active volcano!). Keep going up!
  6. The last part is normal mountain hiking trail for 10 minutes, and then you will arrive in the first summit. This summit could be full of tourist in the weekend or high season.
  7. So you can go to another summit, on the east side, about another 10 minutes walk.
  8. And if you get not enough adventure, keep going around the rim. This path is quite dangerous in one point, but safe enough in daylight. Then you will arrive in the lower crater.

Tips:
  • Bring headlamp or torch if you want to hike in the dark to catch the sunrise, minimum one light for 2 people.
  • Enough water and breakfast.
  • Any kind of shoes, but hiking shoes of course better as some path are sandy and you can run down on the way back. It is fun and addicting!
  • Hiking companion especially for woman in the first time.
Drink up there is expensive

2 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for your good advice, e-mail-advice worked perfectly. Mount Batur really is a wonderful place to go in Bali.

    ReplyDelete